Weddings

Maggi has an interesting post about conducting weddings. I remember swapping wedding jokes with others on a clergy conference - they're useful sermon starters (worryingly, no-one got mine). I really believe that the role of the priest at a wedding is to lead the celebrations, and nothing turns me off more than going to a wedding and hearing the priest smugly opine that 'it's nice to be marrying two Christians for a change' (as if Christians were somehow 'more married' than others).

As well as this note of celebration, I try to put three things in my wedding sermons:
1. A reference to the fact that their marriage is for the benefit of others as well as themselves.
2. A reminder to family and friends that they have (at least in the CofE service) promised to support and help the couple.
3. A mention of the way in which marriage reflects the purposes of God in renewing the whole world.

Then it's just down to my bad jokes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theology and the Man in Black

Prayers for Evensong

Taken or left?