Ash Wednesday

"Lent is supposed to be a time when we review our spiritual life, think again about what it means to be a follower of Christ, reset the compass of our discipleship and prepare ourselves to celebrate the Easter festival. But often we just give up biscuits" (Stephen Cottrell, I Thirst, p. 12)

I've spent part of today burning Palm Crosses, so that there is ash for the service tonight. Each of us at the service will have a cross made in ash on our forehead with the words 'Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return. Turn away from sin and be faithful to Christ'.

I've also spent the day thinking about how I shall mark the season of Lent and review my spiritual life. I think the main thing for me will be making my confession. I will spend some time beforehand in self-examination and afterwards in looking to deepen my discipleship. But the main feature of Lent for me this year will be making my confession, coming into the presence of God and confessing my sins and receiving his forgiveness. May God's grace be with us all through the coming weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theology and the Man in Black

Prayers for Evensong

Taken or left?