Silence

Silence is one of the important elements of my life, especially my spiritual life (whatever that is). So here are some more or less random reflections on why I find silence valuable:

  • Silence is listening carefully and patiently for the voice of God
  • Silence is opening myself to the love, call and judgement of God
  • Silence is the best way of expressing the otherness (the holiness) of God
  • Silence is rooting myself here and now
  • Silence is attention to the present
  • Silence is the prayer of God within me
  • Silence is a pause from the frenetic business of life
  • Silence is being vulnerable
  • Silence is difficult
  • Silence is carving out space for God
  • Silence is waiting to see what will happen
  • Silence sometimes leads me into sleep
  • Silence needs practice
  • Silence is something I need
  • Silence is a discipline
  • Silence means quieting all my agendas, my hopes, fears, wants and stuff
  • Silence is an acknowledgment that I might have some things badly wrong
  • Silence is uncurling
  • Silence is giving up defensiveness
  • Silence is basking in the presence of God
  • Silence is letting go

Update Interesting post on silence on BBC website and I commend the Cage against the Machine campaign for your edification

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theology and the Man in Black

Prayers for Evensong

Taken or left?